Body-Worn Cameras (BWC)
View frequently asked questions related to BWC
Cannabis Law

How will Peel Regional Police keep us safe from drug-impaired drivers?

Peel Regional Police is committed to keeping the community safe. Many of our officers are already trained as Drug Recognition Experts (DREs) and trained in Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFST) and we are continuously training more officers.

What are the penalties if I am caught driving impaired by cannabis? 

It's illegal to drive drug-impaired and it's just as dangerous as driving drunk. Cannabis, like many other drugs, slows your reaction time and increases your chances of being in a collision.

If you're impaired by any drug, including cannabis, while operating a vehicle, you could face serious penalties, including:

  • Immediate licence suspension.
  • Financial penalties.
  • Vehicle impoundment.
  • Criminal record.
  • Jail time.

Are there specific cannabis laws or rules for young, new and commercial drivers? 

There is a zero tolerance policy if you are found driving with any non-prescribed cannabis in your system. This applies to you if:
  • You are under age 22.
  • You have a G1, G2, M1 or M2 licence.
  • The vehicle you are driving requires an A-F driver's licence or Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR).
  • You are driving a road-building machine.

How much cannabis can I safely consume before I drive?

Impaired driving laws remain in effect. It's still illegal to drive while impaired by cannabis or any drug. Legal limits for cannabis will be set by Bill C46, which is expected to become law in December 2018.

Can I consume cannabis in public? 

You are responsible for knowing where you can smoke or vape cannabis according to the Smoke Free Act, the Ontario Cannabis Act and the local Brampton and Mississauga by-laws.

How much cannabis or derivatives can I possess legally? 

You can have a maximum of 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried cannabis in public at any time. Canada's Department of Justice has additional information on possession limits for cannabis products.

What is the legal age to buy and possess cannabis? 

You must be 19 years or older to buy cannabis in Ontario. Health Canada has more information on regulations regarding the purchase of medical cannabis.

Can I sell cannabis? 

No. It's illegal for you to sell cannabis. Only licensed suppliers/stores can sell cannabis. Also note that selling to anyone under the age of 19 can lead to substantial fines - Cannabis Act, 2017.

Can I grow and use cannabis in my home? 

As of October 17, 2018, you can grow up to four plants per residence (not per person). You can use cannabis in a home and the outdoor space of a home (e.g. a porch or backyard).
If you live in a condominium, you can use cannabis in your unit or on your balcony, depending on your building's rules and/or lease agreement. You can't use cannabis in common areas in condos, apartment buildings and university or college residences.

Can I consume cannabis in the workplace? 

Consuming recreational cannabis in the workplace is illegal

What if I have medical reasons to use cannabis? 

Different rules apply to medical cannabis, which is federally regulated. 

Since cannabis is legal does that mean it is safe to consume?

Public Health Ontario has gathered information that speaks to the health risks of using cannabis.

Is it a criminal offence to bring cannabis on an airplane?

It's not a criminal offence to carry cannabis onto a plane in Canada, providing it falls within the legal parameters. Keep in mind it may be a criminal offence to land in a foreign country while in possession of the drug. 

  • When flying domestically passengers should confirm age for each province as they differ and check with airline.
  • When flying out of country check with airline and respective country regarding importation of cannabis.

Airlines are responsible for creating their own policies and procedures; they may restrict or prohibit cannabis on their planes. Please contact your airline directly to ask what their policies are.

What are the penalties for selling to a minor?

Selling to a minor under the age of 19 results in substantial fines. Cannabis Act 2017 Penalties

Is it legal to smoke cannabis inside of a business establishment?

You cannot smoke or vape cannabis in:

  • Indoor common areas in condos, apartment buildings and university/college residences.
  • Enclosed public places and enclosed work places.
  • Non-designated guest rooms in hotels, motels and inns.
  • In restaurants and on bar patios and public areas within 9 metres of a patio.
  • On outdoor grounds of specified Ontario government office buildings.
  • In reserved seating areas at outdoor sports and entertainment locations.
  • On grounds of community recreational facilities, and public areas within 20 metres of those grounds.
  • In sheltered outdoor areas with a roof and more than two walls which the public or employees frequent, or are invited to (e.g. a bus shelter).

How can I talk to my kids about cannabis?

Get tips on how to effectively speak with your kids about cannabis from Drug Free Kids Canada.

What if I have a cannabis related complaint?

Contact our non-emergency line at 905-453-3311. This line is for reporting incidents that are non-urgent or non-life-threatening. Call 9-1-1 only in emergency situations such as life-threatening situations or crimes that are in progress.

Read more about Ontario's Cannabis Legislation.

Read more about how to talk to teens about cannabis.

Read more about set fines for Cannabis Act, 2017

Community Consultations: Race and Identity Based Data (RIBD) Strategy
 What is the purpose of RIBD?
In 2018, the Government of Ontario mandated all public sector organizations, which include police services, to collect and report on race-based data. The collection of this data allows us to better understand and address the needs and concerns of the communities we serve. Additionally, the collection, analysis and reporting of this data helps:
  • To identify disparities and/or patterns of bias and systemic discrimination within law enforcement and to implement policies and practices that promote fairness and equal treatment.
  • To build trust by providing transparency and accountability in policing.
  • Policymakers and law enforcement leaders make informed decisions about how to allocate resources and prioritize public safety efforts.
 Do I have to sign-up to attend these community consultations?

We require all interested participants to sign-up to attend these community consultations. This will be helpful for us in managing the number of participants at each session to prevent overcrowding, and allow for meaningful dialogue. Register now

Please note that we will try our best to accommodate those who have accessibility or other language needs. If you require any accommodations, please let us know in advance of the meeting by emailing

 What can I expect at the community consultation?

You will be given an overview of Peel Regional Police’s RIBD Strategy and context on the value of collecting race and identify data.

There will also be an opportunity to ask and address questions, and complete an optional survey at the end of our session. If you do not have the chance to complete the survey at the end of our session, we would greatly appreciate if you can email your feedback to

During the in-person sessions, we may have a photographer on site. Please note that there will be a likelihood where participants may appear in the background of the video or photo.

 Why should I take the survey?

Your input is critical to our work. Completing our survey and sharing your perspectives will be valuable to us as it can help us better understand how to improve our service delivery.

The survey was developed with collaboration from our external partners, which includes the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) and academic experts.

The data will be anonymized (removing personal information that could identify an individual) and reviewed separately by the PRP, independent data experts and the OHRC to look for insights and/or patterns that will inform PRP’s efforts to address systemic racism.

For further information, please visit our Human Rights Project page.

Family and Intimate Partner Violence

View the Family and Intimate Partner Violence page

Gun Violence

 How do criminals get guns?

Crime guns are regularly smuggled into Canada from the United States by criminal organizations through various methods such as shipping containers, transport trucks and individuals hiding them on their person. Crime guns are also stolen from registered owners during break and enters in Canada or are trafficked by legitimate firearms licence holders. 

How many guns did Peel Regional Police seize?

In 2017 we seized 428 guns in the Region of Peel.

What are the Peel Regional Police doing to keep the community safe?

We have numerous programs in place to educate and prevent our youth from becoming involved in criminal activity. We use analytics to identify peak times and locations where violent crime occur and deploy police resources to those locations.

What can I do to help keep the community safe?

The public have an important role to play in preventing and reporting crime. If you witness or learn about criminal activity, it's important that you call the police. We sometimes see video footage of crimes in progress being posted on the internet and spread across social media. While taking videos may help with a police investigation, when a crime is in progress the victim needs help, and the most important thing for you to do is to call the police. Don't assume someone else has already called.

If I call, I don't want to give my name. Can I do that?

If for any reason someone reporting an incident, doesn't feel like including their name, the incident can be reported anonymously through Crime Stoppers or call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Hate-Motivated Crime

What is a hate-motivated crime?

A hate-motivated crime is a criminal act committed against a person or property, which is motivated solely or in part, by the offenders hate/bias or prejudice based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation or similar factor.

What is a hate-motivated incident?

These are incidents which involve behaviours that, though motivated by bias against a victim's race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability or sexual orientation or similar fact are not criminal acts. Disrespectful/discriminatory or hostile speech are examples of hate-motivated incidents.

I think I am a victim of a hate-motivated crime or hate-motivated incident. What should I do?

If you feel you are a victim of a hate-motivated crime or hate-motivated incident we encourage you to contact Peel Regional Police. We treat all complaints of hate-motivated crimes very seriously and will investigate it thoroughly.

Do the Peel Regional Police have officers trained specifically for hate-motivated crimes?

Each division has a hate-motivated crime co-ordinator who works in the Criminal Investigations Bureau. These officers are responsible for monitoring and handling investigations that are believed to be motivated by hate or bias. Additionally, our Equity and Inclusion Bureau has an officer who is designated as the regional hate-motivated crime co-ordinator. This officer is well versed in these types of investigations and provide assistance to other officers as required.

For more information, view the Hate-Motivated crime page.


How long does the process take from online application?

There is no set time. The selection process is made up of multiple stages, and is complex. The length of the selection process can vary depending on the contents of an applicant's file, organizational needs, and other additional factors. On average, the process takes approximately one year.

Do I have to pay to apply?

There is no charge to apply; however, when completing testing through Applicant Testing Services (ATS) there is a testing fee imposed by them.

Can I apply for specialized units within the police service?

The minimum requirement for special units is usually a rank of First Class Constable. All positions within our service are filled through open competition.

Will military experience help?

Each applicant is viewed individually. Military service is neither a guaranteed advantage nor a disadvantage.

What education do you look for?

There are no particular courses which would provide a clear advantage to you. What is important to a Recruitment and Staff Support Bureau Investigator is that applicants continue their education and their academic achievements. It's important to consider that positions within the police service are limited and are very competitive.

Do you make process exceptions for out of province applicants?

Though we make efforts to accommodate out of province applicants, exceptions can't be guaranteed, and are normally only possible later in the selection process.

Where should I volunteer and does it have to be in the Region?

We like to see applicants who contribute to and are involved in their community. Current, ongoing and consistent volunteering is preferred and there is no requirement when it comes to hours.

For more information, view the Become an Officer page.

Youth Violence

What are the Peel Regional Police doing to deal with youth violence?

We have programs that are directed towards youth to reduce incidents of violence. Using analytics of calls for service, we have increased patrols in areas that have been identified as areas for youth violence.

What are the programs available?

Our School Resource Officers (SRO) are active in schools in the region and deliver courses on topics such as drug education, youth and the law, social media/cyber safety and cyber bullying to name a few. A full list of courses is available on our Child and Teen Safety webpage.

What is the role of the School Resource Officer (SRO)?

Our SRO's are assigned to high schools and elementary schools in Brampton and Mississauga with the goal of building relationships with youth to prevent them from being involved in any form of illegal activity. The SRO's also act as liaisons between the school community and the police service to identify, deter and act on youth crime to help create a successful future for the youth.

Why do the police not give youth an appropriate punishment?

When a youth is charged with a crime and is found guilty in court, the penalty that they face is imposed by the judge or justice of the peace and not the police. The penalties that youth face are guided by the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

The police provide names of adults that are charged. Why not youth?

The identities of youth that are charged are protected under the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Peel Regional Police and all other police services are guided by the act and must follow its direction.

My child has witnessed a crime involving youth. I want them to do the right thing but I don't want them going to court. What can be done?

We encourage the community to report any crime to the police by calling 9-1-1 in an emergency or 905-453-3311 in a non-emergency. Information may also be left anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or the incident can be reported anonymously through Crime Stoppers. Our investigators will follow up on all information provided.

Contact Us

Events Calendar

Loading Calendar Feed...