Bicycle Rodeo Community Kit:
A collaborative effort of the Peel Safe and Active Routes to School Committee the Kit is now available to interested parties to fill a community need for stream-lined bicycle education.
A rodeo is a bicycle skills event which provides an opportunity for cyclists to practice and develop skills that will help them to cycle safely and with confidence.
The goal of a bicycle rodeo is to provide an opportunity for the participants to learn, practice, and demonstrate their bicycle handling skills in a fun, educational way. A bicycle rodeo is one of many activities that can be done as part of a larger strategy to support children to cycle.
Students develop cycling skills by:
- Practicing basic cycling techniques
- Learning basic bicycle mechanics
- Checking proper helmet fit
- Participating in bike safety education
- Participating in a series of bike handling drills and simulated infrastructure and common traffic situations
This guide has been put together to help you organize your own bike rodeo. The kit includes:
- Instructions on how to organize a bicycle rodeo
- Instructions on how to deliver a bicycle rodeo
- Lesson plans for ten different stations
- A sample letter home to parents
- A sample Certificate of Achievement for participants
- Course design alternatives for a bicycle rodeo
- Pre/Post testing tool
- Rodeo Kit Feedback Form
Bike Rodeo Kit Request Form