Photo Gallery: Auxiliary Graduation 2014 will appear here on the public site.
Click on the image to enlarge
The Peel Regional Auxiliary Police Service is supported by over 100 active volunteers. Supporting our volunteers, on a full-time basis are, a Sergeant and a civilian administrative support staff member. The Auxiliary Service supports the regular police service in many ways, including:
- Patrol and marine escorts
- R.I.D.E., program assistance
- Special events
- Emergency callouts
These unpaid volunteers show their support for Peel Regional Police, while giving back to their community.
- Countless hours are put in at special events such as, Santa Claus and Remembrance Day parades, local community events like the Streetsville Bread and Honey Festival, Khalsa Day Parade, and Canada Day celebrations in Brampton and Mississauga.
- Assistance is provided to the Training Bureau at Recruit Graduations.
- Involved daily with Canada Immigration to be on hand for Citizenship Court swearing in ceremonies.
Since the unit was formed in 1989, Auxiliary Police Service members have participated in many community fundraising events, such as:
- Toys For Tots campaign
- Hospital visits to children at Christmas
- Peel Children's Safety Village (A street at the village is named Auxiliary Avenue)
- Car-wash for cancer, which has raised several thousand dollars to date for cancer research
- Gathering, sorting, and shipping clothing to the victims of the Manitoba Flood
The Auxiliary Service has played an important role in a number of major investigations. A victim's shoe was located during a field search at a homicide scene, as well as a weapon used in another incident. Many searches for Alzheimer's patients have also involved Auxiliary Officers.
Auxiliary Officers & Children at 11 Division Open House
The criteria to be accepted into the program are very similar to that expected of our constables in the regular service. To be eligible to the Peel Regional Police Auxiliary, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada, pursuant to the Police Services Act, R.S.O.
- Must be of good moral character and habits.
- Must produce satisfactory proof of having completed the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma (30 credits), or equivalent. Note: Equivalency can be obtained through your local Board of Education.
- Must be willing to provide a two-year commitment of twelve hours per month voluntary service.
- Will be required to successfully complete a series of tests set by the Peel Regional Police Service.
- Must provide all information considered to be related to an appointment, including discharge papers in respect to any former service with a police service or the armed forces.
- Must be certified to be in good health by a legally qualified medical practitioner; mentally and physically fit for duty (having met the fitness requirements) as an auxiliary constable.
- Must possess a valid full G class Ontario driver's licence.
- Vision, uncorrected, must not exceed 20/40, correctable to 20/20 with the aid of eyeglasses or contact lenses. There must be no red/green colour blindness.
- Possess hearing within the normal range, unaided. Hearing loss must be no worse than 25 decibels between 500 Hz and 3000Hz, or no more than 45 decibels at 4000 Hz, as measured by an audiometer.
- Must receive the approval of a selection committee.
- Must agree to abide by the directives of the Peel Regional Police and the Regional Municipality of Peel Police Services Board's by-law #227.
- Will be required to attend all training sessions every Tuesday evening from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. and alternately, Thursday from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Applications will not be accepted from persons who have been convicted of a criminal offence unless they have received a pardon. Convictions include the following dispositions:- Pled guilty- Found guilty- Suspended sentence- Conditional discharge
- Applications may not be accepted from:. Private investigators or security guards who carry firearms pursuant to the Private Security and Investigative Services Act (PSISA).. Persons whose occupation or lifestyle may pose a conflict of interest with Auxiliary Police duties. . Persons who have current applications for employment submitted to this Service's Recruiting Bureau for the position of Police Constable, or Cadet.
There is a four-month training period of 160 hours for our recruits. Training takes place every Tuesday evening from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. and alternates bi-weekly between Thursday from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
ALL TRAINING SESSIONS ARE MANDATORY
As an Auxiliary Officer you must make a commitment of 12 hours per month, for at least two years to the program.
Consistent with the requirements of the Ontario Human Rights Code and subject to the point of undue hardship, accommodation will be provided to qualified applicants with a disability to enable their participation in the recruitment process.
Requests for accommodation in the recruitment process should be made to the Inspector of Staff Operations. Determinations of such requests will be based on the particular facts of each case. Applicants must provide sufficient detail to enable Peel Regional Police to respond to their request. Applicants may also be required to provide additional medical documentation for such determinations.
Note: A qualified applicant with a disability is a person who meets the pre-requisite qualifications of the position and who can, with accommodation, perform the essential duties of the position safely and effectively.
Thank you for considering volunteering with YOUR community!
Click for Monday April 10, 2017 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m - FULL
Click for Monday May 15, 2017 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Click for Monday June 12, 2017 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Emil V. Kolb Centre
180 Derry Road East
905 453-2121 Ext 3872
Hours of operation are as follows:
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm (The Auxiliary Bureau is closed for all public holidays)