Planning a trip? Then don't forget to plan for safety.
Before you leave
- Check for travel warnings - internet/travel section of the newspaper.
- Call your bank/credit card company and tell them to place a note on your file re your travel plans (credit card purchases may be declined if you fail to take this step).
- Take only the cards that you need/plan to use.
- Limit cash and/or obtain travelers' cheques and record the numbers. Purchase a money belt. Don't carry all your cash, travelers' cheques etc. in one place.
- Record passport and credit/debit card information in two safe places.
- List emergency phone numbers.
- Passport office phone number
- Credit card numbers
- Traveler's cheque phone number.
- Do not announce travel plans to people you don't know well or post on-line through social media sites.
- Take only the valuables you need and properly secure those valuables that you leave behind, such as jewelry, in a safety deposit box.
- Check out the Travel Safety fact sheet and check-list at http://www.peelpolice.ca/en/crimeprevention/resources/TravelSafety.pdf
- Let a friend or family member know your daily plans and plan to call.
Securing your home
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to regularly pick up flyers and mail when you're away. Invite them to use your driveway.
- Arrange for snow removal.
- Place lights on at least two timers. Try to duplicate the way your house would normally look.
At the Airport
- Place your destination or business address on the luggage tag. Leave your home address inside your luggage.
- Do not leave jewelry or other valuables you require for your trip in checked luggage.
- Carry your passport in a shirt pocket if you can.
- Constantly monitor and/or hold onto your bags.
- Be aware of the potential for distraction thefts.
- Don't allow hotel staff, service people or any other visitor into your room without confirming who they are with the front desk.
- Do not leave small valuables that can be pocketed in your room. Use the hotel safe if not required.
- Limit the valuables you carry around pool and beach areas.
- Keep doors and windows locked including balcony door.
In addition to normal precautions that you would take:
- Don't leave maps on display.
- Accompany children to the washroom.