Seasonal Safety Tips - Halloween Safety
By taking a few precautions, everyone can do their part to ensure a safe and happy Halloween.
- Help your child choose brightly coloured, non-flammable costumes. Place reflective stickers on the front, back and sides for better visibility.
- Use face-paint or make-up for better vision. If a mask is being used, make sure it fits and cut out large eye openings.
- Get the kids fed, organized and out as early as possible.
- Give your child a small flashlight before heading out.
- Make sure at least one responsible adult accompanies younger children.
- Instruct your child to never go inside a house or eat candy before it's checked.
- Remind them never to dart across the road in the middle of the block or between parked cars and look both ways when crossing the street.
- Inspect all candy wrappers and discard any home made treats, including fruits, unless you know and trust the source.
- Immediately report any dangerous or suspicious incidents to Police.
- Minimize risks to older children who may wish to trick or treat without being accompanied by a parent by knowing their route, establishing a curfew and reminding them of the tips for unsupervised children.
Older children unaccompanied by adults
- Always use the buddy system and try to travel in groups.
- Carry a cell phone for emergency use only. Avoid drawing attention to yourself in the event you have to use it.
- Be wary of groups of teenagers not wearing costumes.
- Stick to your pre-planned route or advise parents before you change plans.
- Only visit well lit homes.
- If you require immediate assistance look for an adult accompanied by children or in an emergency call 9-1-1.
- Make sure your property is safe. Turn on outside lights and clear the property of toys or obstacles that could cause a fall.
- Store valuable items such as outdoor furniture, equipment, cars and bicycles in a locked garage or shed.
- Put pumpkins in a window (away from drapes) or at the front door for viewing. Do not leave them unattended, or on the front step. Extinguish all candles.
- Consider prepackaged treats.