Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Central Robbery Bureau is to reduce the incidence of violent robberies and educate the members of the community in the area of robbery prevention in the Region.
The unit will continue to develop and maintain strong lines of communication for the purpose of co-operating with, and exchanging information, with Divisional personnel, other Bureaux, and other law enforcement agencies.
- To reduce the incidents of violent robberies in the Region of Peel.
- Thoroughly and vigorously investigate all robberies which fall under the mandate of the Central Robbery Bureau, with the goal of identifying and successfully prosecuting the offender(s).
- Form partnerships with community groups and business organizations for the purpose of exchanging information in relation to robbery prevention.
- To utilize Crime Prevention Services to promote robbery prevention strategies, including the use of C.P.T.E.D.
- To provide Divisional personnel, other Bureaux and other law enforcement agencies with up-to-date information in relation to ongoing robbery investigations.
Role and Functions
The Central Robbery Bureau was formed and became operational on June 27, 1999. The unit is responsible for investigating all financial institution robberies, retail robberies, home invasion style robberies, taxi robberies, and carjacking robberies.
Definition - Robbery:
- When someone steals, for the purpose of extorting whatever is stolen, or to prevent or overcome resistance to the stealing, uses violence or threats of violence to a person or property.
- Steals from any person and, at the time he/she steals, or immediately before or immediately thereafter, wounds, beats, strikes or uses any personal violence to that person.
- Assaults any person with intent to steal from him/her; or steals from any person while armed with an offensive weapon or imitation thereof.